Sunday, August 8, 2010

This again?

I'm sure that everyone has a few subjects that just...interest them. Something that they give their time to, love to talk about, love to learn about, etc. They are the subjects that once you get a person onto them, you can't get them off of it. I stumbled across someone's post about that recently. It spoke of how sometimes when we find ourselves in our niche subjects, we become snobby know-it-alls. I believe that's fairly accurate. I try not to be so insufferable when I'm on my soapbox. I try to realize that not everyone has invested so much time in my particular hobbies, and that no one else really cares what I have to say on the matter. I try to, anyway...

So what are my chosen topics? One is drink mixing. I've done lots of studying and researching. I have a well-stocked liquor cabinet, and my fair share of serving equipment. I have no desire to actually work in a bar, but I enjoy immensely bartending for my own parties with my friends. Sometimes, I get a little know-it-ally on the subject.

I've been eking out a living lately at a pet store. There, I've learned a great deal about pet care, especially training and nutrition. While I'm hardly an expert on the subject, I definitely know a bit more than the average pet owner. Sometimes...I get a little obstinate on that topic as well (especially the nutrition bit).

Then of course, there's music. Unlike my other niches, a little more opinion is involved in this one. I think I do fairly well at keeping on open mind in regards to this one. The feelings that we get from listening to music are ours and ours alone. Just because a song doesn't "do it" for you, doesn't mean that it's a bad song. Someone else out there likes it. As high as my tolerance is in this field though, I do have a major pet peeve. I utterly cringe when I hear someone describe a band as "bad," "terrible," "mediocre," etc. How can you possibly judge? I think it's possible to say that a band isn't doing anything new. That's measurable. But even if a band is treading around in well-worn territory, someone out there appreciates that and likes the sound that they're producing. I find myself getting outright angry when I hear people talk like that. Not because they don't share my taste in music, but because I feel like they're trolling over anyone who doesn't share their taste in music. I bite my tongue in these instances, due to the fact that I know that not many others share this particular view.

Sorry...this topic is sitting a little fresh in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment