Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Scratch it Off!

Last night, I saw the Sick Puppies and Janus right here in Knoxville! It was a really great show! I was a little later getting there than I meant to be, but I was still as close to the stage as I was the Smashing Pumpkins, which means that I got some decent pics! Now, lemme break it down for you.

There were signs posted on the building saying that the first 200 fans to buy Sick Puppies merchandise would be stamped to get autographs after the show! So of course, my first stop was the merch table, and I got myself a Sick Puppies shirt.

The doors opened at 8, which usually means that the first band goes on at 9, but My Darkest Days actually started playing at 8:15 as people came in. I thought this was a little sad because I thought they sounded pretty decent. It's a shame they weren't able to have a larger crowd. Their first album comes out in September, and you can buy their first single on iTunes. I'm a little curious about them.

It's Alive was the second band. I was a little less impressed with them. There was one song that was okay that they played, and I've already downloaded it from iTunes. I don't think I'll check out much more from them.

Janus was great! I'll definitely be picking up their album! The crowd was into them overall, but "Eyesore" was great. The whole crowd screamed "LIGHTS OUT! WAKE UP! STAY CALM! DECIDE! REACH UP! STAND OR BE AN EYESORE!" I recorded a clip of it, but I'll only post one clip here (you'll see).


Finally! The Sick Puppies! They were so great! It's really difficult to have that much presence when it's only a 3-piece band, but damn, they showed up! Shim talked to the crowd a lot, especially about their history. It was really neat hearing how the different songs played into their journey. And Emma! The Silversun Pickups and the Smashing Pumpkins both had female bass players that just kinda stood there, but Emma flew around that stage and head-banged more than a lotta guys out there. On top of that, she was good. Her fingers could move! It was just such a good show! I hope they come back, cause I would definitely see them again!

They apparently didn't meet their 200 purchases, because they just let anyone line up to meet and get autographs after the show. Damn! I thought I would be special! Haha. All three of them signed my shirt, and I was a little dumbstruck when I met them. All I managed to say was that it was a hell of a show and for them to please come back...lame, yes?

Originally, on my 50 Things to Die Before I Die, the item was to get a CD signed by the artist, but I think I can change that to getting any merch signed by the band. I have a Sick Puppies shirt signed by all three members of the Sick Puppies! How awesome is that?!




2 comments: