Sunday, August 15, 2010

Ep. 4: Kim Loves Evanescence


Evanescence

Stats
Genre: post-grunge nu-metal
Formed: 1995
Albums: 2
Breakout Single: "Bring Me to Life," 2003
Seen live? No...but more on that later...

So far, I've labeled 3 out of four bands as post-grunge nu-metal. Maybe I do have a type. Evanescence has this dark sound, with lots of melodic guitar action. And I have to admit, I have a thing for bands with female lead vocalists. I think it's because they're easier to sing along with. Amy Lee does have an extraordinary voice. She's also a trained concert pianist, which means she knows what she's doing when she's writing music.

Talents aside, I get the feeling that Amy Lee is a little hard to work with. Evanescence has been sailing in choppy waters for the last few years. She's the only original member of the band left after 2 nearly complete turnovers, and the partings have not been on good terms. The band was even on an "indefinite" hiatus until late last year. They've been in the studio working on their third album, but progress has been recently delayed. I'm really hoping that they can get back on track, crank out that next album, and get back to touring. I'll have to make sure I catch them on this one. With their history, they might not survive very long after this album.

It's hard to pick a favorite here, but let's continue with my trend of picking singles with videos and throw this one out there. Here's "Lithium."


No comments:

Post a Comment