Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ep. 1: Kim Loves Breaking Benjamin

Alrighty, so here goes the first installment of my shiney new series! I'm going through these in alphabetical order, so keep in mind these are not in order of how high they rank in my interests.

Breaking Benjamin

Stats
Genre: post-grunge nu-metal
Formed: 1998
Albums: 4
Breakout Single: "Polyamorous," 2002
Seen Live? No

I'm really picky about the harder bands. Oftentimes, they just don't sound special to me. Somewhere, I get lost in the manic guitars and screaming vocals. BB gets through to me though. I'm sure that you're tired of me reminding you of this, but I'm partial to melodic music. BB achieves that with digestible riffs, memorable choruses, and just the right amount of screaming. Describing their genre was a little difficult. Nu-metal is an offshoot of alternative rock that describes music that fuses different genres with metal. I typically see them classified as alternative metal, but I think nu-metal is a much better fit.

The first song I actually heard by them was "Rain." Being an acoustic ballad, it's hardly representative of their catalogue. It made me curious about the rest of their repertoire though. It's been smooth sailing ever since. Haven't seen them live yet, but some day...

And now, for your listening pleasure, here's one of my favorite songs by Breaking Benjamin, "Until the End."


2 comments:

  1. Without looking at their discography, I think "So Cold" was the first one I heard. They had me with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through a rather long period of radio blackout, so I missed it when that song first came out. I love that song, too.

    ReplyDelete