Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Finally, Some New Linkin Park

I love Linkin Park. Criticize that if you want, but I love all three of their albums. However, many Linkin Park fans were disappointed with the third album. It began to move away from their rapcore roots, and into softer territory. I loved it though. As I've said before, it's completely natural for bands to evolve their sound over time. That may carry the band away from the sounds that you may like, but come on. If they just made your favorite album over and over again, wouldn't that just be boring?

LP's fourth album, A Thousand Suns hits stores (physical and digital) this September, but their first single from said album was released yesterday. It's not on youtube just yet, but you can find it on iTunes if you'd like to take a peek. "The Catalyst" is very different from anything that has appeared on their earlier albums. It's very electronic, switching to a softer piano style a few minutes in. If this indicates what the rest of the album will sound like, I think it could lead them away from large portion of their fanbase though. I don't have a problem with that. I hate to think of bands as writing with a particular style just to cater to their fans. It's important to appreciate your fans, but you should write the music you feel. I really think that's what they're doing by moving in this direction. They're maturing and evolving.

You've probably guessed from my posts that I have a pretty diverse taste in music. I love Hybrid Theory and Meteora, with their screams, raps, and distorted guitars, but I certainly don't mind the new move into the realm of electronic rock. I'm totally excited about the upcoming album, and I'll be picking it up the first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment