Friday, August 13, 2010

Ep. 2: Kim Loves Chevelle

I've made it to the second post of the series. So far, so good. If any of my readers (er...reader, singular, I s'pose...) stumbled into this post without reading the post I made between Ep. 1 and 2, kindly pop into that one. I am seeking some thoughts on the subject.

Chevelle

Stats
Genre: post-grunge nu-metal
Formed: 1995
Albums: 5
Breakout single: "The Red," 2002
Seen live? Twice!

I listed them as the same genre as Breaking Benjamin, but don't be fooled. They are hardly interchangeable. Both bands write heavy, guitar-driven songs with memorable, melodic choruses. Both bands also throw in a scream or two here and there. But that's where the similarity ends. They each leave their own fingerprint on the genre. I think Chevelle's music is a little more complex. They use dissonant chords and cryptic lyrics.

The first song I heard by Chevelle was "Send the Pain Below." I was instantly in love. I bought the album (Wonder What's Next), and it's still my favorite Chevelle album. Good thing too, because they still play more from that album live than any other album. This Type of Thinking (Could Do Us In) is another favorite too, both with me and live. Their fourth and fifth records are decent, but I'm not as keen on their first. Anywho, I love this band, and I'll see them every chance I get.

Here's one of my favorite songs by Chevelle. I think I've posted here before, but I deem it necessary to post it again. Here's "Well Enough Alone" from their fourth album Vena Sera.



No comments:

Post a Comment