Thursday, August 12, 2010

Let's try this on for size...

Remember that silly little series I tried to start? Going through all the albums in my library? Yeah well...that was too big. Really? I have somewhere in the vicinity of 200 albums. Not a ridiculous amount. I've heard of many enthusiasts that have well over 500. But still, 200 is no small number. The scope of that series was just too big. I have a penchant for not finishing what I start, and beginning a series that would call for approximately 200 posts was just plain silly of me. Plus the posts were already getting so repetitive. If I bought the album, then obviously, I'm going to like it to some extent.

So I've got a new series that I want to try. It will only call for 33 posts. Much more reasonable. Instead of taking you through a tour of my library, I'm going to take you on a tour of my favorite bands.

I think a brief intro is called for. There are a couple of things that will come up as I do this. First, as I dig in to each band, they may rise and fall through the ranks. As I work my way through their catalogue, "new" songs may rise up the list, while "old" songs fall out of favor. But usually, once a band makes the favorite list, they're there to stay.

Second, I'm going to try to describe each band's genre. That's incredibly hard to do. Genre these days is a slippery notion. No band strictly adheres to any one genre. Any sound they've ever listened to and liked is amalgamated into their overall sound. Also, I'm sure that purists will disagree with some of my classifications, but that's fine. I'm sure no purist will ever stumble into this blog.

So while I put together the first installment of this new (and hopefully doable) series, here's a vid. I love the kids in this one. They're cute!



No comments:

Post a Comment