Sunday, March 21, 2010

Showbiz

So, my computer is currently out of commission. Blogs will be few and far between until I can get it up and running again. It's definitely a massive inconvenience.

Anyway, in music news...all I've been able to listen to is Muse. I am reminded of the movie Juno. Jason Bateman's character (was that his name?) let Juno borrow an album by Sonic Youth (his favorite band). When she gave it back she said, "When you're used to listening to the raw power of the Stooges, everything else just sounds cute by comparison." That's probably not verbatim, but you get the idea. Right now, that's how I feel about everything else. I know this is just a phase, but for the moment, everything that's not Muse sounds a little amateur and uninspired to me. Like I said, I'll get my fill soon, and I'll start listening to my other music again. Haha.

Because I have nothing better to talk about tonight (and even though I know not many Muse fans will be visiting my blog), I think I'll spin my album opinions for you.

Let's start with Showbiz. I love this album. Maybe not the way that I love the others, but it still has its highlights. "Unintended" is my favorite song on the album, and my third favorite song by the band ever. In my opinion, it's the most beautiful love song ever written. Chromatic harmonies, melodic sequencing, and beautiful lyrics all come together to create something truly incredible. The album's namesake is another favorite. "Showbiz" is a brooding song that builds and builds throughout the entire 5 or 6 minutes. I think this song is a great indication of where the band was heading developmentally. Those two are my absolute favorites from the album, but the whole album is really great. It was released in 1999 and definitely stands out amongst the other rock sounds of the time. It's not perfect though. "Overdue" leaves something to be desired for me. It's alright, and I still sing along with it when I get to that track on the album, but it's terribly repetitive.

I'll visit the next album in the next entry, whenever that is. As I mentioned earlier, my computer access is limited right now. But I'll get to it when I get to it.

For your listening pleasure, here's "Unintended."


No comments:

Post a Comment