Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Muse. Live. Amazing.

There really are no words to describe last night. It was the best night of my life (so far, anyway). I'm gonna try to describe all this awesomeness to you, and I'll also try to do you the favor of making it short. I'll try, anyway...


First off, the MONEY. $58 for a ticket. $50 in gas, $15 to park, $32 for a shirt, and $9 for a beer (a big one). But I don't regret a penny! The only way the night could have been better is if I had had someone with me to share the experience with. I might have also liked to have a decent camera on hand, so that I could show everyone how awesome everything was (but the entire thing is burned into my brain forever, so I don't need a camera to remind me). It would probably have been pretty awesome to be on the floor. But really, my seat was good. Actually, there probably weren't any bad seats in the arena.


The Silversun Pickups went first. They were really good. It made me wish that I had been able to catch them when they came through Knoxville. It was pretty standard concert fare. Brian was energetic on stage, and his banter was funny. There was a girl down front in the crowd who had flashing devil horns on her head. He kept talking about them between songs. I had to take off to the restroom (remember that beer? Yeah...but I didn't miss much at all), and when I came back, Brian was wearing them! Haha. And he actually gave them back to her when they were done performing.


Behind them, there were these...things. They were like big buildings, with this cloth over them. Before their last two songs (They closed with "Panic Switch" and "Lazy Eye"), Brian said to the crowd, "So, you've probably noticed these things behind us. Well, we didn't bring'em. But you know who did, right? MUSE brought'em! And they're gonna use the shit out of'em, too!" So, I'm wondering what the hell these things are for, and what Muse are going to do with them.


The wait between bands was excruciating. And I couldn't see what they were setting up. They pulled the Silversun Pickups' equipment off the stage, but they weren't moving anything else out there. Finally, the lights went out. In the darkness, the buildings become illuminated. One by one, each window lights up. Then the scene changes. Playing across the buildings is a scene of stairs with silhouetted figures slowing moving up. There's an eerie intro playing over the speakers. As the silhouetted figures stop making their trek up the stairs, they begin to fall away. Meanwhile, I'm thinking, "Where's Muse? I still don't see anything being moved on stage?" No sooner have I thought that when simultaneously the cloth falls away and the music starts. Where's Muse? Right here:
How awesome is that? No, that's not my picture. The only camera I had was my phone, and it can't take a picture like that. They didn't stay up there all night. The bottom half of the pillars moved, and would lower them to stage level and they'd move around and play. The top parts of the pillars would still always have awesome effects going on.
Anyway, from the second the music started (They opened with "Uprising") to the last song of the night ("Knights of Cydonia"), I didn't stop moving. This was actually the first show I've ever been to where I've known every lyric to every song played. Usually at shows, by the end, I'm ready for it to be over. I'll think, "This has been awesome, but I'm tired and hungry." Not last night. I didn't want it to end. I never felt tired. I never felt hungry. They could have played every song in their catalogue, and I still would have begged for more. The energy was amazing. It wasn't just awesome stage effects that made this show the best one I've ever been to. It was the energy. There was so much energy in each song. I think I even have a new love for "United States of Eurasia," which I never even really liked, after seeing it live. You better believe I was throwing my fist in the air and screaming "SIA" along with the rest of the arena (a part in the song that normally makes me cringe a little on the album).
When they came back out to play "Knights of Cydonia," I knew it would be the last song of the night. There's no way to top that song. I thought the crowd was getting into it before then, but the crowd went nuts during this whole song.
I wish I could relive last night over and over again. But I'm a little worried about every other show I'm going to see. How will I ever be able to properly enjoy a show again? What do you do after you've climbed Mt. Everest?
Anyway, I'm not gonna leave a video today. I'm going to marinate in my memories for a little bit.


P.S. Sorry for the format. For some reason, my paragraphs aren't separating the way they should, and I can't figure out why.


No comments:

Post a Comment