Saturday, March 13, 2010

On the Rocks IV

Here's something random that I've been thinking about a lot lately. I'm not sure that very many people I know share this train of thought. Everyone looks forward to the future, right? Where will I work? Where will I live? Will I get married? Have children? Here's the thought that plagues my mind: what will my children think of the music I'm listening to right now? How will we view what's playing on the radio currently some 20 or 30 years form now? It seems to me that somehow even the worst songs become cool in hindsight. For a while, 80s pop was the mockery of the music timeline. Now? Someone turns on "Rock Me Amadeus" or "Turning Japanese" at a party, and it's the coolest thing ever. When Weezer's Pinkerton came out in 1996, it was NOT commercially successfully, and critics ripped it up and down. Now, those same critics are praising it as one of the best albums of the 1990s (one of the reasons why I could care less about what the critics have to say). Anyway, that's just been something that's been on my mind lately. Thought I would share that with you.

Continuing the series, here's my track list for OtR4!

1. Breaking Benjamin - "Until the End"

That was the song that began my relationship with BB.

2. Hoobastank - "So Close, So Far"

Typical 'stank emo-fare.

3. Sixx: A.M. - "Life Is Beautiful"

4. Franz Ferdinand - "No You Girls"

Look out. That song could cause you to spontaneously dance...

5. Hinder - "Get Stoned"

6. Papa Roach - "I Almost Told You That I Loved You"

7. Tool - "Sober"

Oldest song in the whole series! 1993!

8. Company of Thieves - "Oscar Wilde"

One of the few indie bands that I've stumbled upon and liked.

9. Adelitas Way - "Invincible"

I don't think that I would like that band as much if I hadn't seen them live so much. April 13th will be the 4th time!

10. Saving Abel - Drowning (Face Down)

I think I might like this song better than "Addicted."

11. Seether - "Fake It"

12. Linkin Park - "New Divide"

13. Staind - "Fade"

That was the song I was looking for when I found "Everything Changes."

14. Royal Bliss - "Save Me"

Stumbled across this new band. I really like their sound. Hope the rest of the rock fans out there learn about them soon, too!

15. Jet - "She's a Genius"

16. The Offspring - "Half-Truism"

Love that one!

17. Halestorm - "I Get Off"

Those guys are DEFINITELY my favorite new band of 2009! Seen them live 3 times! Great show!

18. Muse - "Uprising"

For being their most successful single in the U.S., it's pretty low on my list when compared to the rest of their songs.

19. Buckcherry - "Crazy Bitch"

20. Deftones - "Change (In the House of Flies)"

And that's that! I love this one, too! I made it at the same time as OtR3, and this one also has older songs mixed in with the then-current tunes. I think 3 and 4 could be my favorite mixes...

Tomorrow, I'll let you in on part 5! And here's a song for tonight, from the aforementioned mix. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment