Monday, March 8, 2010

Blast from the Past

I'm still hooked on Ordinary Riches by Company of Thieves. I've been listening to "Pressure" and "Old Letters" nonstop.

But enough about that. I just thought I would give you the track list to one of my mixes. I made several mixes throughout high school, but not many of them have actually survived the years. There was a mysterious goo incident that destroyed most of a stack of them...

But a mix I made the summer of 2003 still exists. This mix was mostly some old favorites of mine with a few new discoveries thrown in.

1. "Virtual Insanity" by Jamiroquai.

I didn't discover this song then, I just slapped in on a mix at that point. I still love that song. It had an awesome video, too.

2. "Killing Me Softly" by The Fugees

Still one of my favorite covers. The melody is mostly identical to Roberta Flack's original, but through in that R&B beat, and the song has a completely different sound.

3. "Hella Good" by No Doubt

I was fascinated by this song because it was so different from the third-wave ska sound of Tragic Kingdom.

4. "It Wasn't Me" by Shaggy

This song is too funny. Though lately, it's lost a little bit of its humor...

5. "Last Resort" by Papa Roach

Good ole angry rock. Still like this song.

6. "Ghetto Supastar" by Pras ft. Mya and ODB

HA! I used to know all the words to this. Can't say that about many rap songs. Sadly, I seem to have forgotten most of them...

7. "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye

Who DOESN'T have this song on a mix somewhere?

8. "This Is the New Shit" by Marilyn Manson

I added this song on my sister's recommendation. I'm not really a Marilyn Manson fan, but this song is funny.

9. "Clint Eastwood" by Gorillaz

I didn't like this song at first, but it grew on me.

10. "Bring Me to Life" by Evanescence

At the time that I made this mix, I had just discovered this song, and I thought it was the coolest freakin' thing in the world.

11. "I'm With You" by Avril Lavigne

Another song I had just discovered. I have to admit to having a thing for Avril Lavigne. I laugh at her interpretation of "punk," but secretly, I can sing along with her first two albums, front to back...

12. "Popular" by Nada Surf

If you haven't heard this song, go listen to it now. It's funny and pretty typical 90s action.

13. "Pepper" by Butthole Surfers

I hadn't heard this song in years, but I saw it on my sister's music library and I thought I would add it.

Well, that's it! Sadly, I didn't fill up the whole CD, but at the time, I couldn't really think of anything else that I wanted to put on there.

I still listen to this mix. It reminds me of that summer. It's a happy mix. :)

1 comment:

  1. Now THAT'S variety!

    I came across Pepper not too long ago too. Still a good song! :)

    ReplyDelete