Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My Library I - Start of a Series I May or May Not Finish

First off, I have my Muse ticket! Four months and four days until I'm rocking out on the floor level of the arena in Raleigh!

So...about this new series. I feel like dishing out my thoughts on my entire CD library. Will I finish it? Hellllls no! Do you know how many CDs I have? But I'm in the mood to start this, so let's start a pool on how far I get before I get tired of it and give up, shall we? Put me down for...12.

Here's how it's gonna work:

First, these will not be reviews. If you've been paying any attention to my rantings, then you know I hate reviews and the fact that critics feel that their opinions matter. Rather, these will just be a brief summary of what I do or don't like on each album (so prepare to be very bored).

I'm going to rate each album on a scale of 0-5. Again, that's not a scale of how "good" the album is, but a scale of how much I like the album.

I'll still do my..."regular" posts. Just mingled in with this doomed series. And I'm mostly going in alphabetical order. I'm skipping some and will come back to them (yeah, we'll see about that).

The Autumn Effect by 10 Years (2005)

I really love the overall sound of 10 Years. As a band, they sound unique to me. I don't feel that they had completely come into their sound yet when they made this album. I'm super into about half of it, and while I think the other half is really quite good, that half sounds very similar to me. They're really good at seeking out a melody that fits very well against the guitar-laden tracks. The songs that really grab me are the ones that combine memorable melodies with interesting guitar riffs. The rest of the album just doesn't seem to climb to that level. I feel like they had an idea of what they wanted their sound to be, but just perhaps they weren't experienced enough to enrich that sound so that each song really stood out.

This album gets a 4.0/5 on the Kim Scale.


No comments:

Post a Comment