Sunday, June 13, 2010

50 Things...

When I was a kid, I scribbled into my journal my list of things to do before I die. Not exactly a new or novel idea. Every so often, I'd go back to it and update it. Not just with scratching off the things I've done, but fleshing it out a bit. I mean, the list can't stay the same as it was when I was 15, can it? Who knows what they want out of life when they're 15? Over the past couple of days, I've been obsessing over the list. I guess several things have me thinking about mortality lately, and how I need to up the ante a little. I turned 24 and realized that I've accomplished little in life. I'm definitely not where I thought I would be at 24. Plus, this year, everyone has been getting married. Pardon my cynicism, but really? I know you can still have adventures after marriage, trust me, I plan on having several, but there's still so much to do now without having to worry about the priority changes that come with marriage. Then lastly, the death of a friend has got me thinking about how you never know when you're going to run out of laters...

I've been trying to hammer it out into 50 Things, with very specific goals. Like, where the list used to say simple like things like "Go to Australia" or "Go to Germany," it nows says "Scuba dive off the Great Barrier Reef" and "Have a beer at Oktoberfest." Instead of just "learn to play the piano," it now reads "accompany a student on piano."

So why am I talking about this on my music blog? Because there are a handful of music related items on this list, only one of which I've been able to scratch off thus far. And that's what I thought I would share with you today.

1. See Muse live. (check!)
2. See Silverchair live.
3. See 100 different bands live (since my first concert in 2008, I'm already at 23).
4. Go to a concert in another country.
5. Go to an entire music festival (I would have loved to have been at Bonnaroo this year, or even to get to go to the Forecastle Festival).
6. Get an album sleeve autographed (I have an autographed Flyleaf EP, but I didn't actually have them autograph it. Just bought a pre-signed copy at their show).

So that's that. I know that some people may see that and think, "Gee, with everything there is to do in the world, why not make it more extravagant?" My response is that 1) the rest of the list is more boundary pushing (for me), and 2) in case you haven't noticed, music is a bit of an obsession for me. I'm really excited about one day checking off all of those items (and the rest of the list, for that matter.)

1 comment: