Saturday, April 24, 2010

X Rock Weekend

I don't really listen to the radio much. When I do though, it's usually 94.3 The X here in Knox Vegas. It's the only "modern" rock station in town. I say "modern" because the word "modern" has two different meanings in rock music, and I don't think this one leans toward the main definition of modern rock. For those a little loose on their terminology, "modern rock" is interchangeable with "alternative rock." While The X plays quite a bit of alternative rock, they play just as much mainstream rock. The second meaning, and the one I think this station is more geared toward, is "modern" in the sense of contemporary, current rock (though they can't use the word contemporary, because there's another genre called contemporary. Haha, it all gets so entangled...).

Now that I have bored you to tears, let me get back on topic. About once a year, they have a weekend called "Your X Rock Weekend" where listeners can submit their own playlists for them to play on air. They encourage people to be creative and choose some sort of theme or order for the songs, and also to try to include songs that might not ordinarily be played (within reason. No Britney Spears, ya know?). Last year, I submitted a playlist of rock songs they rarely or never played. It didn't make it on air, and as I listened, they really didn't play much that they never play. Guess they weren't as liberal with that idea as I had hoped.

This year, I stuck to songs that normally air on their station. It hasn't been played yet, but here's to hoping it'll make it in tomorrow (last day!). Can you guess the theme? It's pretty obvious...you don't even have to listen to the songs...

1. Halestorm - "It's Not You"
2. Incubus - "Pardon Me"
3. Janus - "Eyesore"
4. Kings of Leon - "Sex on Fire"
5. Linkin Park - "Breaking the Habit"
6. Muse - "Uprising"
7. Nirvana - "Heart-Shaped Box"
8. Offpring - "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid"
9. Puddle of Mudd - "Psycho"

New band, new song. Check it out, here's "Eyesore."


2 comments:

  1. That's not so new. Sirius Octane has been playing it for a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, so has our radio station. But it's the hit single by a band that just released their first album less than a year ago, and that my dear, is what I meant by new.

    And they played all 9 songs on the radio today! Whoo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete