Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Day to Remember

Ok, now that my little Muse mini-series is finished, let's get back to the usual, shall we?

First off, am I the only one that's having flashbacks to the early 90s? Look at the charts. The Stone Temple Pilots just unseated Alice in Chains from the number one spot, and Hole is back on the charts. What's next? I guess the ghost of Kurt Cobain will be rising soon...

So I saw a show while I was in Atlanta. The headliner was A Day to Remember with August Burns Red and Silverstein supporting. There were a couple of other bands there, too. I know one was Enter Shikari, but I can't remember the name of the other. I think they might have been a local act. None of those bands are really my kind of scene, but when some friends invited me to the ATL with them to see the show, how could I turn them down? ADTR is one of their favorite bands. I enjoyed myself. They were very energetic on stage, and I was surprised to find that I actually liked the music. All the bands there were post-hardcore, which I've usually written off as "not for me." I came away from the concert eager to investigate both Silverstein and A Day to Remember a little further.

The atmosphere was amazing and completely different from what I'm used to. Atlanta is huge (compared to Knoxville, anyway), so when you get a band playing to a sold-out crowd in such a small venue, it's pretty much just the die-hard fans that know the words to every song that show up. The place was packed wall to wall with people screaming out every lyric and totally losing themselves in the music. That was a great experience. But that's not the only thing that was new to me.

If you're a hardcore noob like me, then let me enlighten you on a bit of hardcore culture. Most of the bands have breakdowns in their songs, and during the breakdowns, a circle pit forms and...dancing?...commences. I guess it's dancing. Not in the traditional sense, but definitely dancing. It's really violent, but they definitely get into it. Don't think moshing. It's different from moshing. But when you're not used to it, it's kind of a spectacle to see, and something I never would have experienced if I had stuck to my usual genres. I hung out in the back, clear from the destruction path.

I definitely had a great time that night. I mean, nothing tops seeing Muse live, but it's good to know that I can still enjoy myself at a concert that's not Muse. Hehe. Anyway, I've been looking into both ADTR and Silverstein, and I can see myself picking up a couple of their albums. If you know me at all, then you know I love discovering new sounds. :)

Today's video is "I'm Made of Wax Larry, What Are You Made Of?" by A Day to Remember. Oh, and the clip at the beginning of Close Your Eyes...they handed out a demo disc at the concert that had this song on it. I think I'm in love with it...

1 comment:

  1. I'm getting pretty excited about Tuesday. :D

    And, btw, we DO need to go run while I'm there. Preferably Tuesday since I plan on being hungover Wednesday. LOL

    ReplyDelete