Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Resistance

Final one! Congratulations, you've toughed it out. Back to the usual rants and musings after this one.

The Resistance is pretty much a departure from the rest of their repertoire. It still sounds like Muse, just a different side to them. Oddly enough, it's their biggest album in the U.S. with two very successful singles so far ("Uprising" and "Resistance"). Both songs are good, but I think they're hardly representative of Muse's library.

This album has a pretty broad range of sounds. Matt Bellamy said he wanted to compose in all genres, and I believe he hit his mark. I would like to point out "Guiding Light" as being the lowest point in the album for me. It has begun to grow on me, and I do like it a bit more now, but it's still a little weird to me. The melody is actually pretty, but the keyboard part combined with the sound of the drums...it sounds very 80s. I can hear it being played during the credits roll of Top Gun or something.

"United States of Eurasia" is also a little low on the list for me. This one has grown on me a bit also, but it's still not one of my favorites. Its sound greatly resembles Queen, and then there's this string part that sounds remarkably similar to the "March of the Slave Children" from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

One of the absolute highlights from this album would be the last three tracks. They encompass the Exogenesis Symphony. I love the last movement, Redemption. It's beautiful. The first movement, Overture is incredible also. They played that one when I saw them live, and it was amazing. The symphony truly sounds like the direction I expected Muse to move in.

Somehow, "Undisclosed Desires" is my favorite song on the album. The first time I ever heard the song, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. It grew on me pretty fast though. It's poppy, dancey. I'm not sure what I love so much about it. Maybe it's just the girl in me connecting to the lyrics.

And now, for your listening pleasure, here's the third movement of the Exogenesis Symphony, Remdemption!


No comments:

Post a Comment