Monday, April 5, 2010

Absolution

Well, I have my computer up and running once more, so I can hammer out the rest of this little mini-series quite quickly. Just suffer through three more blogs like this, and I'll move on to my usual random rantings.

If you remember my deserted island scenario, the Muse album that was on the top of the list was Absolution. I love every second of this album. I could listen to it a thousand times over and still not tire of it.

It starts with "Apocalypse Please." It doesn't ease you into the album. Instead, it throws you in face first with Matt hammering away on some thick chords on the piano. It is difficult to describe the rest of the album. It covers many different sounds. There are heavier rock tunes like that of "Time Is Running Out," "Stockholm Syndrome," and "Hysteria." There are also the slower, but powerful songs like "Sing for Absolution" and "Falling Away with You."

There's nothing heavy about "Blackout" at all. It's beautiful, with an added mandolin part to show its Italian inspiration. Matt exhibits his piano skills in "Butterflies and Hurricanes." In the middle of everything happening, an incredible piano interlude takes over, greatly resembling the sound of Rachmaninoff.

Hmm...talking about this makes me want to listen to the album all over again. It would only be the millionth time I've heard it.

I caught another show this weekend. As soon as I get through the rest of this series, I'll tell you all about it. For now though, here's "Falling Away with You." It's my favorite song from Absolution and my second favorite amongst the entirety of their catalogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment