Sunday, May 2, 2010

Nothing Like a New Discovery!

I've said before that there seems to be simply too much music in the world. I just can't take it all in. I wish I could say I could name every song on every album I own. I wish I could sing along to more albums. I wish I knew more than the choruses of the songs I hear on the radio. I wish I could download it straight into my brain, Matrix-style.

Every now and then, something seems to shine through all the noise, though. Something will stand out as new and unrecognizable. I love listening to my old favorites, and unveiling more music by bands I already know and love, but there is nothing quite like hearing a band for the first time and falling in love. Granted, I've only heard two songs by them, but I'm completely hooked. I've already got their album ordered and on its way. So who is this new discovery? The Temper Trap. They're an Australian alternative rock band signed to an independent label that just released their very first album last June. How did I hear about them? As I've said before, I check the Billboard rock charts. Their debut single, "Sweet Disposition," has been climbing up the Alternative Rock Chart. No radio station around here plays them, so curiousity sent me over to YouTube to check them out.

The more I listen to it, the more I love this song. They've released a second single now, "Fader." It hasn't hit the charts yet, but I love this one, too. I know I could meander through YouTube and listen to the rest of their album, but I prefer to wait until I have it physically in my hands and in my CD player. Why ruin the surprise? I'm really excited for this one to come in. I'm really hoping that I'll love the rest of the album as much as I love those two songs.

In other news, there's another concert coming to town that I really want to go to. It's Shinedown's Carnival of Madness tour. I'm not really a fan of Shinedown, but check out the line-up: Headlining is Shinedown, with the opening bands being Sevendust, Chevelle, Puddle of Mudd, and 10 Years. I'm not a Sevendust fan at all (they just headlined their own show here last week, and I didn't care at all to go), and I only like a couple songs each by Shinedown and Puddle of Mudd, but I love both Chevelle and 10 Years. I've seen them both before, but I would love to see them again. So do I go or not? A) It would be another chunk of change to go, and B) the concert is July 23rd. Should I find a teaching position, and should it be a high school teaching position, that will put it right smack in the middle of a band camp, which could pose another problem. What to do, what to do...

That's all for today. Here's "Sweet Disposition" by The Temper Trap. There are two music videos for it. This is the Australian version, for no other reason than I like its aesthetics a little better.


2 comments: