Monday, May 17, 2010

Neutron Star Collision

Today was a good day. Well, it was average for the most part. Took my dog for a walk with my next-door neighbor (and got SOAKED), went to work, trying to make myself get in a little bit of cleaning before I go to bed...

So what perked up my day? Muse released their new single today. Usually, I'm interested when a new single is released, but not really excited about it. This one is special though. It's not on any of their studio albums. So it's 100% brand spankin' new! It's called "Neutron Star Collision (Love Is Forever)." I love it. When I first heard it, I really wasn't sure about the beginning. It's still my least favorite part of the song. But then this galloping drum beat hits (similar to the one heard in "Knights of Cydonia"), and the melody is beautiful. And then there's this guitar solo. Nothing complicated, the guitar just repeats the melody. It's all quite lovely.

The first couple of lines in the song make me giggle a little every time I hear them: "I was searching, you were on a mission/ Then our hearts combined like a neutron star collision." Come on, Matt. I know you love spacey topics, but wow. Not the most common analogy, but I think it really is growing on me. The rest of the lyrics (specifically the chorus) are a bit intense. "Our love is forever/And if we die/We die together." Is it just me or are more and more of Matt's lyrics about love? I think he's happier now. He has said that the lyrics of "Undisclosed Desires" are very personal to him and his girlfriend, and let's face it, I think every girl dreams of a guy who will say to them what Matt says in that song. It's a nice change for him (though sometimes I miss, the darker, conspiratorial lyrics of earlier albums.

"Neutron Star Collision" isn't a complete non-album single. It's the lead single from a film soundtrack...the new Twilight movie, Eclipse. If you check out the comments on youtube videos (which if you never glance through the comments when you watch a youtube video, you're missing out. They tend to be on the funny side), you'll see that a lot of Muse fans are up in arms about them appearing on all three soundtracks of the Twilight films.

It really doesn't bother me. I think it's pretty dumb to shake the foundation of your fandom for a band just because they show up on a soundtrack for a movie you don't like. That doesn't change the music or what it stands for. What a silly thing to get worked up over...

Anyway, that's all I've got for you. Here's the song, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment