Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Papa Roach - Metamorphosis

Ok, so I never said my taste in music was deep, just that it was mine. That being said, I’d like to tell you about one of my more recent album purchases.

This is the first Papa Roach album I’ve ever bought, and I bought it purely on the strength of the single “Lifeline.” It’s very rare that I buy an album for just one song since that often results in disappoint. I have a little bit of history with Papa Roach though, so I figured this would be a safe purchase. While I’ve never gone out and actually bought one of their albums, I’ve liked some of the songs that they’ve put out, so I had a pretty good idea of their style. All in all, I’m pleased with Metamorphosis. Has it become one of my favorite CDs to put in? No. But it was definitely worth buying. It has twelve tracks, and one of those is an instrumental introduction, so let’s say eleven actual songs. Of those eleven, I’m really into seven, lukewarm on three, and just not feeling one.

All too often, bands will release the best songs as their singles. I think we’ve all been there, where we’ve bought an album because we’ve heard the three or four songs that were released and loved them, only to play through the CD and realize that there was a reason they picked those songs to be released. That’s not the case here. I really like the three singles, but I think some of the other songs on the album would have worked just as well in the public eye (ear?).

I found “Lifeline” to be the driving force of this album. I love the opening guitar riff (which is hard as hell on Rock Band…), and I think the melody in the chorus is gorgeous. The lyrics are very straightforward (I hesitate to use the word “emo” in regards to the lyrics…but I’ll save that topic for another day), which has never bothered me. Personally, I don’t think that a band has to have deep lyrics to be considered good. Anyway, I was listening to this song for a few months straight and finally decided to break down and give the album a try.

The other singles “Hollywood Whore” and “I Almost Told You That I Loved You” are also fun to listen to (and the latter wins the Raunchiest Song Since “Crazy Bitch” Award). My other highlights from the album are “Had Enough,” “Live This Down,” “March Out of the Darkness,” and “Carry Me.”

So if you’re into these guys, I’d check the album out. It has some good sounds happening on it. Here’s “Lifeline” in case you’re curious, and I’ll see you tomorrow when I ramble out…something (don’t know what yet).





No comments:

Post a Comment