Monday, August 24, 2009

First, a little introduction...

Ok, so anyone who knows me knows my one true love in life: music. So I’ve decided to share this love of mine with the world…or just whoever stumbles onto this. I don’t expect many to read this. Perhaps this is more for me than it is for you. But I guess if even one person reads it and finds it interesting, then that’s cool. I used to make a few “Songs of the Moment” notes on facebook, but I’ve decided those just aren’t enough. Thus, I’m going to use this as my own personal music blog where I can prattle on about the mundane things that make my world a little brighter.

I’ll start by introducing you to my style of music!

First, I would like to say that you will never hear me say (speaking seriously, of course) that a band, song, or genre is “bad.” I feel that music is extremely subjective, and that as long as one person gets something out of a song, then it was worth writing, and if it’s worth writing, then it’s worth listening to. Nothing irks me more than skimming through a video’s comments on youtube and seeing the usual variations on “this band/song sucks and everyone who listens to it is __________ (fill in the blank with any generic, immature phrase you like).” Anyway, I could ramble on about that for way too long, so I’ll stop there. My point is, you won’t hear me say anything like that about music. My categories aren’t “good” and “bad.” It’s more of what I personally like or don’t like.

That being said, today I’m just going to meander through the main genres of music and tell you what I think. I’ll begin with my main squeeze, rock music, and I do mean that in the most general sense. Rock these days has a huge split down the middle with modern rock on one side (a.k.a. alternative rock), and mainstream rock on the other, and a big bridge built between the two by the bands that rock out on both sides of the rift. I lean toward the modern rock side, but I do wander over and party with some mainstream bands from time to time. Both modern and mainstream are broken into many subgenres, and I feel safe saying that pretty much every one of them is represented in my music collection. I like everything from piano rock to nu metal, and everything in between. I tend to stay away from heavy metal, thrash metal, death metal, etc. I guess nu metal is about as far out as I generally go on a regular basis. I’ll admit I don’t keep up with the underground indie scene very well, though there are a few bands I’ve caught wind of that I listen to (latest indie craze for me is Company of Thieves!), and I’ll go ahead and admit to liking the occasional pop rock band like Paramore, All Time Low, and We the Kings. Hey, I like what I like…

I could write a lot about what I think of pop music today, but I’ll save that for another day. Occasionally I get in the mood for its beats and catchy hooks, but it’s definitely not something that I listen to often. I’m very picky about what I do listen to, when I listen to it. To throw an example out there, I like Black Eyed Peas’ “I Gotta Feeling,” but I’m not into their song “Boom Boom Pow” at all. As for country, it’s just not for me. Even crossover country like Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood. I just don’t listen to it. It’s not bad, it’s just not for me.

So that’s a little bit about me and my general musical flavor. I’ll leave you with my top six favorite bands and a few songs that I just can’t get enough of lately.

Muse (new album coming out Sept. 15! Check out the new single, “Uprising”)

Silverchair (if you only remember them for their Frogstomp days, you’ve missed out on a lot of great music!)

Weezer (new album coming out Oct. 27! Check out the new single, “(If You’re Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To”)

Linkin Park (very mainstream, but I can’t help it, I love them!)

Flyleaf (new album coming out Oct. 27! Check out the new single, “Again”)

10 Years (these guys are amazing live!)



And now for a few songs…

Breaking Benjamin – “I Will Not Bow”
Chevelle – “The Red”
Elbow – “Grounds for Divorce”

No comments:

Post a Comment