Tuesday, August 25, 2009

New Releases! 8/25/09

The big one today (for me anyway) is Jet’s new album, Shaka Rock. I’ve had it pre-ordered on Amazon, so it should be shipping out and making its way to me as we speak. On a side note, why is it that one can order a brand new CD online and pay s/h, yet still pay less than if one hopped down the road to the nearest store to buy it? Anyway, I’m pretty stoked about this one. I was impressed with their debut album Get Born, and I love their new single, “She’s a Genius.” I’ll be honest, I really didn’t pay much attention to the album in the middle. When I first heard “Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is” I was little turned off by Nic Cester’s use of falsetto (not falsetto in general, of course, come on, my favorite band is MUSE). I’ve been listening to some of the other songs from that album lately, and I’m starting to think that that one song isn’t very representative of the general style of it. Maybe I’ll be changing my mind about it soon. Anyway, once Shaka Rock makes it to my CD player, I’m sure I’ll be posting my thoughts on here for all (or no one) to see. In the meantime, go listen to “She’s a Genius!” Be warned though. It’s pretty catchy, and it might stick itself in your head for a little while…



In other releases today (of the ones that I care anything about anyway) is Skillet’s seventh album Awake. Despite this being their seventh album, I had never heard of them before the local rock station added their newest single “Monster” to their rotation. I’m really only lukewarm on that song. I find that what generally attracts me to a song is melody, guitar riffs, and beat. None of those aspects of “Monster” feel particularly unique to me (though it is starting to grow on me…). However, I went back and listened to “Hero,” also from the new album… I’m really into that one! So who knows, I might end up adding Awake to my library after all. Time will tell on that one.

The other releases for this Tuesday that caught my eye, but probably won’t make it to my music library are Collective Soul’s Rabbit, Smile Empty Soul’s Consciousness, and Matisyahu’s Light. I might keep an eye on Matisyahu though…that one may surprise me.

This week marks the first of many this fall that I’m super excited about. So many of the albums I’ve been waiting on are all hitting stores in September and October, including the biggest of them all, the new Muse album. Again, go check out “Uprising,” and while you’re at it, give “United States of Eurasia” a listen, too. I’ll admit, the latter is a little Queen-esque with a hint of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom thrown in, but still, it’s oh-so-good!

No comments:

Post a Comment