Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Deftones: A Madhouse

Ok, so I woke up this morning with an insanely sore throat, and by this afternoon, I had a slight fever. Did that stop me from going? Of course not! I paid for that ticket, and I wanted to see them. A little sickness wasn't about to stand in my way.

I didn't really plan on buying a shirt, but I did anyway. Every show that I've been to that I haven't bought a shirt, I've always regretted it later. So I boughts me a shirt.

There was only one opening band. They were called This Will Destroy You, and they really were something else. They were a purely instrumental band, but man, they rocked! They had a very interesting sound. I loved it live, but I don't think I could buy an entire album of it. I was thinking as I listened to them, that they would sound great on a movie soundtrack. As I'm perusing their page on Wikipedia, I see that their music has been used in a few movies. Each song started soft and eerie, then gradually built up into this cacophony of sound. I can't quite describe it beyond that, but I highly recommend you check out a tune or two by them.

Then when the Deftones came on...I've said before that there's always that one guy that decides to mosh. As the Deftones took the stage and kicked into their opener, the crowd exploded into a mosh pit, all at once. Everyone was absolutely craaaaaaazy. I like to be up there and in the thick of it, but I had to concede defeat and move to the back. It was pretty awesome to see all that happen. They didn't stop until the band left the stage at the end of the night. It was one hell of an experience.


Also, for another first, between bands, the guy in front of me suddenly squatted down and lit up. At first, I couldn't tell if it was a joint or just a cigarette (he never would have made it back to his spot if he had left for the smoking area). Then the smell hit. Ha. Squatting, smoking a joint...this dude was gettin' ready. Haha. He kindly offered a hit to all of us around him, but no one took him up on it. Hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment