Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Unity Tour

I've been out of commission for a little while thanks to my computer woes. Picked up a virus, and since I'm a complete idiot when it comes to computers, it took me a whiiiillle to get it fixed. But I'm back online now, and I have a show to tell you about!

Saturday, I drove down to Atlanta for this year's Unity Tour. For 2010, 311 added The Offspring to the roster, and daaaaaamn this show was good!

I've only attended two concerts by me onesy so far, but I must say that I sorely missed company on this one. I think I've told you before that 311 is simply the best for summertime, windows down, driving music. I wanted someone in my passenger seat singing along with me so badly. When I arrived, I ended up parking fairly far away the venue, but it was only $10, so I can't complain. When I arrived at the actual site, it was 6:03, and the show started at 6:30. Good timing, eh?

I had never been to a concert like this before. The traffic coming in was bumper to bumper with attendees, and the streets were packed. The actual parking lot for Lakewood Amphitheater was filled with people tailgating. I felt a stab of envy at that scene. I drive a truck! That would have been so perfect to have a group of friends pile into the back with a case of beer. But alas, I was solo...

By the time I made a much-needed pitstop, bought a shirt, and a beer (a big one), it was about ten minutes until the first band, Pepper, went on. I had never heard of them before, but they fit in nicely, and I believe I shall be taking a closer look at them. I was so stoked when The Offspring took the stage. Though most of the crowd was clearly there for 311, everyone was really into The Offspring. My only complaint was my own damn fault...That beer went right through me, and I had to take off to the bathroom, and I missed "Why Don't You Get a Job." Dammit!! But it was still amazing.

I will definitely be checking out some more 311. I only have their ninth (and newest) album Uplifter. Their show was amazing, and the crowd went hella crazy for them. They played for almost two hours straight, and the energy never stopped or even slowed down.

It sucked that I had to do this one alone, but the trip was definitely worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Dang! 9 albums? Really? I had no idea they had put out that much stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They've both been very busy. 311's at 9, and the Offspring's at 8, with the 9th one expected out in late 2010/early 2011. And both bands played songs spanning their entire catalog.

    ReplyDelete