Monday, February 21, 2011

Girls Kick Ass

Today's post is an homage to one of the coolest people in rock music: the female bassist. Come on, who's cooler than that? Quite a few bands have female lead singers, which if you know me, you know I'm a fan. They're easier to sing along with (for a girl), not to mention that they have to rock twice as hard to get their voices to carry.  Not nearly as many bands have a female bassist (or the incredibly rare female drummer).  There's just something so undeniably badass about a girl with a bass guitar.  If I were to join a band, I think I would wanna play bass.  So here's a shoutout to some particular awesome gals that I've caught live. :)

Nikki Monninger, Silversun Pickups

From afar, Nikki's not very exciting to watch.  She doesn't move around much on stage.  But when you're closer, you can see that it's her face that's so active, in contrast to Brian (lead singer and guitarist), who's pretty mobile.  It's like she's saying, "Yeah, you do that Brian.  I'm cool over here."

Nicole Fiorentino, Smashing Pumpkins

Nicole is the epitome of sexy. Like Nikki, she's not very mobile, but Nicole is very different.  She's totally aloof, but I'm convinced that it's an act.  I think she's mastered that air of "aloofness" to go with her look.  I bet it drives the boys crazy (as if her legs didn't do that enough, I'm sure).
Emma Anzai, Sick Puppies

Emma is incredibly fun to watch.  She flies around the stage, slinging her hair around.  I get exhausted just watching her.  I really don't understand how she can do all that and play so well, and that she does.  The Sick Puppies have several songs with fast basslines, but that doesn't slow her down a bit.   

Chloe Duveaux, Does It Offend You, Yeah?
 Chloe is absolutely adorable.  She's so tiny, and she bounces around the stage for pretty much the entire show.  I wish there was a pocket-sized version of her, so I could keep her with me.  Then, when I need a spirit booster, I could take her out and watch her bounce around.  It just makes you happy.  Though that could be related to the music (if you are unfamiliar with DIOYY, they're a techno band)...

And that is my homage to some CHICKS WHO ROCK!!   Oh, and she doesn't play bass, but she is my own personal Goddess of Rock...here's Lzzy Hale of Halestorm.  Girl Power!! (or some equally lame exclamation)

LZZYYYYYY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment