Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ep. 19: Kim Loves 30 Seconds to Mars

Aha! I just realized in the last post that I never finished this series, so I'm back again, to finish up! And I was so close to the end, too...

Stats
Formed: 1998
Albums: 3
Breakout Single: "Attack," 2005
Seen live? Not yet...

Laugh if you want, but I freakin' love these boys! I don't care how "emo" you consider them to be, they just...do it for me. Like most bands, their sound has evolved over time. I'm least familiar with their first album. What little I have heard on it, I didn't connect with so well, though I haven't given up giving it a proper listen.

That being said, I'll skip to albums two and three, the combined power of which has landed 30StM in my Top 20. They combine electronic elements with purring guitars to create a sound unique to them. Lead singer Jared Leto has a soft, gentle voice, yet a delightfully grating scream that thrills me, chills me, and fulfills me. ;) A Beautiful Lie (2nd album) utilized heavier guitars and screams, but for the next album (This Is War), they opted for a more electronic sound, especially prevalent in "Hurricane," even incorporating a taste of pop from time to time, as in "Closer to the Edge." I love ABL, but I think TIW is my favesie. :)

Here is one of my favorites from This Is War, "Alibi." It begins as a simple enough ballad, but around the 4:20 mark (haha, I said "420"), it unfurls its wings, revealing its true splendor.

No comments:

Post a Comment