Wednesday, September 16, 2009

New Releases 9/8/09

Yeah, so it’s been a while. So sue me. Anyways, let me catch you up on some new releases. Mind you, these are only the ones that registered on my radar, and not all albums that were released.

Let’s start with last week’s releases. Oh, and Tuesday is the main day of the week that releases are made, but a few albums get released throughout the week. I generally round to the nearest Tuesday for my releases.

Last week saw Saosin’s In Search of Solid Ground released. I have mixed thoughts on this group. I totally admit to listening to pop punk every now and then, but there does reach a point where some of them start sounding interchangeable. I like a few songs by Saosin okay, but the band doesn’t grab me as having something unique that distinguishes them from everyone else in this genre. Oh, and I opted for the term “pop punk” as opposed to “emo.” I’ll explain that one later, though… Anyway, the new single, “On My Own” really isn’t that bad. While listening to it though, I really found myself thinking that you could remove Cove Reber from the front, slap Hayley Williams on there and call it a Paramore song. Like I said, this band doesn’t really grab me as all that unique.

While maneuvering through that genre, let’s go ahead and talk about the new Boys Like Girls release, Love Drunk. I’ll pick Saosin over these guys anyday. Boys Like Girls is way more poppy, with a sound that reminds me of a male Kelly Clarkson. I don’t think it’s altogether bad, just not what I traditionally listen to, unless I’m really in the mood.

Phish released their fourteenth album last week, Joy. I’ll be honest, I haven’t listened to a thing off of this album, and I might not ever get around to it. I’m not really a jam-rock girl, but I used to be okay on Phish, but I’ve recently developed an issue with listening to them that has nothing to do with their music.

The release I was most excited about last week was Welcome to the Masquerade by Thousand Foot Krutch. I’ve only recently started listening to this band, but so far, I’m liking what I’m hearing. The first single from this album, “Bring Me to Life,” is a pretty decent song (and no, nothing to do with the Evanescence song by the same name). I’m not sure if this is an album I’ll add to my library, but of all the releases for 9/8/09, it’s the only one I really have any interest in getting. We’ll see.





Yesterday was a very exciting day for me musically, but I don’t quite have the time to get into that right now. I may post a second blog later tonight, or I may hold off until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment