Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Sad Day...

Well, I signed on to facebook today to find some sad news.  There was a post from Silverchair in my news feed...a farewell post.  Despite having begun work on their sixth studio album, they've split, citing creative differences.  I feel so...sad.  I was never able to see them live.  I said that as soon as they got that new album out and began their tour that I would do whatever it took to get to one of their shows.  And now, that will never happen...

Well, I suppose I can't say "never."  They're not calling this a "break up."  They're opting for the phrase "indefinite hibernation."  The farewell post said that the three of them "won't be working together unless and until it feels right again."  They've been on hiatus before and returned. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't want them to stay together just for us kids.  If this is what they need to do, then it's what they need to do.  But I can still be sad, right?

So I'll just recount how I came to meet and love Silverchair for you, and leave you with a favorite song.  I first heard of Silverchair when I was quite young.  My sister had their first two albums, though I never really listened to any of their music.  It wasn't until I was in middle school (and going through my MTV phase) when they really hit me.  Their third album was on its way out, and "Anthem for the Year 2000" was in rotation.  I fell in love with the song, bought the album, and I wore that sucker out.  And that's how it all started for me.  I went ahead and bought albums 1 and 2 for myself, but it wouldn't be until years later (January 2008 to be exact) that I would re-discover those albums and discover their successive albums for the first time.  But Neon Ballroom has held its place as one of my favorite albums ever since that very first time I heard it in 1999/2000.  Now, their five albums are probably some of my most played in my entire library. 

Well boys, it's been great.  I will miss you.  Thank you for all the years I've been able to spend with your music.  Here's my favorite Silverchair song, "Untitled."  It's a b-side from the Neon Ballroom-era. 

No comments:

Post a Comment